Society for Research on Educational Effectiveness
Apply on-line: https://sree.workable.com/j/93E4805544
Send suggestions and nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organization
Founded in 2005 to support research on education policy and practice, the Society for Research on Educational Effectiveness (SREE) has established itself as a specialist research organization focused on the investigation of causal questions critical to effective educational practice. Guided by a Board of Directors from varied disciplines in the social sciences, behavioral sciences, and statistics, SREE’s diverse community of members includes researchers investigating causal relations in education, professionals active in school settings, and public officials, policy makers, and others instrumental in translating research into policy and practice.
SREE’s portfolio of convenings, publications, and services provides a collaborative platform for active member engagement, knowledge sharing, and professional learning. Current member offerings include:
- Conferences covering a range of timely field topics relating to research methods, knowledge utilization, policy and practice developments, and critical reform issues;
- Publications comprising a quarterly newsletter and the Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness, a periodic research journal of original articles from the multidisciplinary community of researchers committed to applying principles of scientific inquiry to the study of educational problems;
- Professional development services focusing on workshops, videos, software, and career opportunities;
- New programmatic initiatives involving the federally funded Registry of Efficacy and Effectiveness Studies providing timely information on studies aiming to identify the causal effects of education practices, programs, or policies and facilitating easy access and transparency to ongoing and completed studies.
Having built a strong foundation of support and interest during its first decade, the Board of Directors is now aiming to move SREE to the next strategic phase of programmatic and organizational development. Along with its planned relocation to Washington, D.C., the Board envisions a broader portfolio of services and programs, an expanded and diversified membership base, new strategic partnerships, and deeper engagement with practitioners and policymakers.
In this context, the new executive director will build on SREE’s past successes, generate and test new strategic directions, and guide the organization to new levels of productivity and performance. This unique opportunity to lead a small but influential research organization not only will have a direct impact on the organization and its members but also may shape the field of evidence-based policy and practice in education into the future.
About the Position
Working within the framework of an operating budget of almost $1 million (FY 2017) and a cadre of four staff and consultants, the executive director will have responsibility for and/or direct involvement in a variety of critical tasks and activities, including:
- Leadership — Serves as the chief executive officer, primary spokesperson, and point of contact for members, partners and the field at large including external communications, outreach, field building efforts, and collaboration with other organizations.
- Resource and Membership Development — Develops and implements external revenue-generating strategies for sponsorships, fundraising, membership development, and partnership arrangements.
- Management and operations — Manages the core operations and administrative functions of the organization including staff/consultant supervision, board relations, office management, budget development and implementation, human resource processes, and performance evaluation.
- Programs, Products, and Services — Oversees and coordinates the development and implementation of the key programmatic offerings including member conferences, in-person and virtual convenings (e.g., online courses), publications (e.g., newsletter, journal), and online services (e.g., the Registry).
- Innovation and strategic development — Facilitates strategic and annual planning with the Board and members for the continuing development of new programmatic offerings and innovative operational approaches.
In keeping with the Board’s vision for advancing SREE to the next level of development, the executive director position contains a number of dynamic and flexible features, including:
- Competitive compensation and benefits package for the Washington, D.C. area based on experience and expertise
- Primary work location in the Washington, D.C. area
- Reports to the President of the Board of Directors
- Availability for occasional travel
- Full-time flexible work schedule
- Start date spring of 2018
With a commitment to SREE’s founding principle of applying procedural norms of science to the study of educational problems, executive director candidates should be prepared to work closely with the Board of Directors, members, and partners to bring high performance energy, inspiration, and innovation to SREE’s programmatic and operational activities. Critical qualities include:
- Practical understanding of evidence-based policy and practice, education research, and various research methodologies
- Knowledge about leadership, association management, and non-profit operations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Skilled in relationship building, networking, and collaboration
- Strong leadership and organizational capabilities
- Commitment to the role of research in educational improvement
In keeping with the diversity of backgrounds and expertise of the Board of Directors and SREE members, candidates may bring variety of background experiences to the job opportunity. Preferred experiences include:
- Involvement in education research and evidence-based policy and practice in education
- Management of membership or professional associations
- Interactions and working relationships with scholars, policy makers, and practitioners
- Innovative thought-leadership
- Post graduate degree or equivalent work experience
SREE has selected the firm EDGE Consulting, LLC of Arlington, Virginia to support the Board’s search for the Executive Director. If you wish to apply, please complete an online application here. If you wish to nominate one or a number of candidates, please contact Ruth Goltzer via email at email@example.com.
SREE is an equal-opportunity employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this important leadership position.